Learn to Calm Your Own Mind
If you’re looking for greater personal freedom, emotional stability and increased peace and happiness, you’ve come to the right place.
Tuesday, January 15 – 6pm–7pm
Winter 2019 MBSR Class Series
January 22 – March 12
A psychoeducational 8 week class series deigned to teach a set of skills that help each student meet the everyday stressors and challenges of life in ways that are meaningful, nurturing and healing.
Upstream can help if you are looking to: Approach your life with more composure, better understanding and increased enthusiasm; Improve your focus, resilience and capacity to recover more quickly from challenging events; Develop the ability to cope more effectively with both short-term and long-term stressful situations; Practice more skillful thinking and behavior leading to healthier, more flexible living; Learn to calm your own mind. Sounds good, right?
Taking the MBSR class at Upstream and developing a regular meditation practice has reduced my anxiety to 20% of what it has been most of my life. Jemme and Hilda offer gentle, skillful instruction and compassionate guidance for beginners and experienced meditators, alike.
This summer I broke my back in a bicycle accident and was hospitalized during rehab. If the accident had occurred before I had taken MBSR training, I would have been angry and resentful. My road to healing was paved with plenty of time to meditate. Rather than resentment, I was filled with a sense of wonder at my new thought process, inner strength and focus to remain positive.
When I signed up and took the MBSR course at Upstream, I had no idea how significantly it would change all aspects of my life. With a lot of practice, the new perspective it has given me has helped redefine my goals and given me the tools to accomplish them and to savor every moment.
What to Expect
After orientation you will have a better understanding of the class series and what to expect, but here are some tips and a few things to keep in mind when attending weekly classes.
- Wear comfortable clothing – we will be sitting, lying and sometimes doing gentle movement.
- Feel free to bring anything that will make you more comfortable – a blanket or warm layers are great for cold natured folks (your body temperature drops during relaxation).
- Expect several different practices during each class – some sitting, some lying down and other various activities depending on the class.
- People may share their ideas, and we encourage others to listen and engage but not offer advice or counseling. The mind has a tendency to look for outside opinions, but we want our students to look inward for better insight on the road to mindfulness.
- Most classes are approximately two hours and fifteen minutes. Each class series includes a six hour Saturday retreat typically after class 6.
- If you must miss a class please contact us to let us know you will not be attending that class.
- Remember that this is not group therapy, but we do encourage engagement and you will never be judged. This is a confidential, safe environment.
- Some weeks you will have “homework” – but the fun kind! Usually some light readings or at-home exercises to help you on your journey to mindfulness.
- Expect to relax and enjoy yourself!
Do I Belong Here?
If you’re looking for greater personal freedom, emotional stability and increased peace and happiness, you’ve come to the right place. Upstream uses mindfulness techniques to promote well-being and teach skills for managing stress. Upstream helps its students work with a variety of issues, including the following:
- Chronic Pain
- GI Problems
- Muscle Tension
- Obsessive Thinking
- Tension Headaches
- Issues with no firm diagnosis